The Clinical Research Facility (CRF), situated on level 4 of the Garvan Institute, provides a dedicated research space, expertise and equipment to support a wide range of clinical research activities and complex research procedures.
Our facility currently provides the resources to conduct investigator-initiated interventional and non-interventional clinical studies for Diabetes and Metabolism, Bone Biology and Hormones and Cancer. We also provide facilities for sponsored research trials enabling patient access to new treatments.
As well as research activities, we provide a venepuncture service for all Garvan research groups, as well as Institute First Aid services for work related injuries or illness.
- 4 patient beds with oxygen, suction
- 1 examination room
- Venepuncture room
- Treatment room
Dedicated Research Equipment
- ParVo Medics True One 2400 Metabolic Monitor
- COSMED Quark RMR Indirect Calorimetry
- YSI 2300 Glucose Analyser
- Syringe pumps and volumetric infusion devices
- SphygmoCor Pulse Wave Analysis Monitor
- 2 Centrifuges
- 2 Bio safety Cabinets
- Temperature monitored freezers, -20 & -80
- Temperature monitored refrigerators
Study Specific Procedures
- Hyperinsulinaemic-euglycaemic and hyperglycaemic clamps
- Indirect calorimetry
- Muscle and fat biopsies
- Arterial stiffness measurement
- Heart rate variability measurement
- Collection, processing, storing and transporting of biological samples
The CRF can arrange or access other research service providers:
- Pharmacy services through St Vincent’s Hospital
- Laboratory testing through Sydpath pathology
- MRI/CT or Bone Densitometry through St Vincent’s radiology department.
For further information regarding the Clinical Research Facility please contact Lynne Schofield, Nurse Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.