St Vincent's Centre for Applied Medical Research
In October 2008 the Centre for Immunology and the Clinical Trials Unit from St Vincent’s Hospital formed the St Vincent’s Centre for Applied Medical Research or AMR. The AMR is a centre of both St Vincent’s Hospital and the University of New South Wales. The AMR together with the National Centre for HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research, the Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute, and the Garvan Institute of Medical research form the Darlinghurst research hub.
The Centre for Immunology evolved from the first Clinical Immunology department in New South Wales at St Vincent’s Hospital and only the second in Australia. The Centre for Immunology was established in 1983 as a centre of St Vincent’s Hospital Sydney and the University of New South Wales.
The Centre is currently located on the St Vincent’s Darlinghurst campus in the newly opened Lowy-Packer building. The new building is a shared facility with the Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute. The AMR has dedicated space in the building that is also physically connected with the Garvan Institute building with significant shared services and scientific resources.
The AMR is committed to:
- Excellence in biomedical research. The Centre engages in fundamental scientific research in the fields of immunology and cell biology with relevance to allergy, inflammatory disease, cancer and HIV/AIDS. Collaborative projects link these studies to clinical trials, in particular HIV/AIDS
- Disseminating the results of this research widely to the medical and scientific community and to the general public
- Undertaking undergraduate and postgraduate training and teaching
- Providing the highest standards of diagnostic service and patient care in accordance with the Mission of St. Vincent's Hospital
The centre conducts its research through these research programs:
- Inflammation and Cytokine
- Neurobiology and Adult Stem Cells
- HIV Immuvirology
- Clinical Research Program
- Blood, Stem Cell and Cancer
- Gastro-Oesophageal Cancer
- Structural Biology
For more on the St Vincent's Centre for Applied Medical Research, please visit their website.