January 2018 - Congratulations to researcher Dr Claire Vennin, who was awarded the 2017 Garvan Thesis Prize for her exceptional achievements during her PhD studies. Click here to read more on Claire's eventful few years at Garvan.
November 2017 - Professor John Mattick AO FAA FAHMS FTSE, the Executive Director of the Garvan Institute of Medical Research, is now a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering (ATSE).Click here to read more on Professor Mattick's fellowship.
November 2017 - The Garvan Institute's Marina Pajic has been named the Cancer Institute NSW's Outstanding Cancer Research Fellow for 2017. Click here to read more on Marina's achievement.
October 2016 - Nadine Ezard, Clinical Director of St Vincent's Hospital Sydney's Drug and Alcohol Service was named as one of Australia's "100 Women of Influence" by the Financial Review and Westpac. Nadine was recognised for her public policy work in harm minimisation.
September 2016 - Nancy Mourad, a third year PhD student in Garvan’s Bone Biology Division, was awarded second place (runner up; $1500) and the ASPIRE prize for her presentation entitled ‘Cancer: Bad to the Bone’ at the UNSW Australia 3MT interfaculty final. The ASPIRE prize, which has a value of $500, is awarded by school students in the UNSW ASPIRE program to the presenter whose talk they enjoy the most. Click here to read more.
July 2016 - Garvan congratulates Dr Dorit Samocha-Bonet (Diabetes and Metabolism Division), who has been awarded the 2016 Australian Diabetes Society (ADS) Diabetes Australia Research Grant. Dr Samocha-Bonet accepted the award, which provides $60,000 towards her research into body acidity and insulin resistance, at an event hosted by Diabetes Australia at NSW Parliament House. Click here to read more.
June 2016 - World renowned scientist Professor Roland Stocker from the Victor Chang Institute has been elected as a Fellow of the Swiss Academy of Medical Sciences, for his notable contribution to the field.
The Swiss-Australian is just one of nine people elected this year and will join an exclusive group of members alongside several prominent Nobel Laureates.
May 2016 - World leading developmental biologist, Professor Richard Harvey, joins scientific luminaries such as Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton, Howard Florey and Stephen Hawking as a Fellow of the Royal Society, the oldest continuously operating academy of science in the world.
- Prof Alan Glanville elected President Elect for the Thoracic Society of Australia and NZ (2016)
- Dr Frank Lin awarded 2016 Shine Translational Research Fellow (2016)
- Dr Bernadette Tobin; Prof Bryce Courtenay; Prof David Bryant made Order of Australia (2016)
- Prof Steven Vuvic (St Joseph's Hospital Sydney) awarded the 2016 Gottschalk Medal by Aus Academy of Science (2016)
- Prof Gordian Fulde named Senior Australian of the Year (2016)
- Prof David Cooper elected Fellow of the Australian Academy of Health and Medical Sciences (2016)
- Prof Lesley Campbell awarded Sir Kempson Maddox Award by Australian Diabetes Council (2015)
- Stroke team (St Vincent's Hospital Sydney) receive Premier’s Award for Improving Performance (2015)